Diplomas are presented to graduates at Commencement in June unless students indicate that they do not plan to participate in Commencement, in which case the Registrar’s Office will mail the diploma to the mailing address provided on the online Diploma Mailing Survey. Students must meet their financial obligations to the University in order to receive a diploma. We cannot release your diploma if you have a Bursar hold.
Diplomas are mailed free of charge via US First Class Postal Service. This does not include tracking information. Please allow five business days for domestic deliveries and four to six weeks for international deliveries.
Students who prefer to have their diplomas mailed by Federal Express (FedEx) must pay the FedEx delivery fee. The cost is $50.00 for international locations and $15.00 for US and Canada. Please visit the FedEx delivery page.
Ordering a Replacement Diploma (for a lost or damaged diploma)
1. There is a $35.00 fee for a replacement diploma. We will mail the diploma via the US Postal Service. There is no tracking information.
2. Students must pay an additional fee to have the replacement diploma mailed via Federal Express (FedEx). The cost is $50.00 for international locations and $15 for US and Canada.
3. You will need your University Identification Number (UID) when you complete the online request form. If you do not remember your UID, please call the Registrar's Office at 585-275-3533.
4. Requests for replacement diplomas are made online and payment can be made by credit card (Visa, Master Card or Discover). Click here to request and pay by credit card for a replacement diploma.
5. Allow four to six weeks for the replacement diploma to be printed and one to eight weeks for mailing.
We cannot release your diploma if you have a financial hold (Bursar hold). Replacement diplomas can be ordered by the graduate only.
Bring your University of Rochester photo ID card to the Registrar's Office to pick up your diploma. If you wish to have someone pick up the diploma for you, you must mail or fax a letter with your signature giving them permission to claim your diploma and they must present a photo ID, driver's license or passport.
Your name will appear on the diploma in the same format as your name is recorded in the student records system in the Registrar's Office. There are no exceptions to this policy.
The size of the MBA and MS diploma is 8 ½ x 11 inches. The degree title will appear in the center of the diploma, below your name. The PhD diploma is 16 x 12 inches.
*Concentrations do not appear on your diploma. Concentrations appear in the minor section of your official transcript.
Students may request an Apostille for a diploma through the University Registrar's Office. Please contact the University Registrar's Office at 585-275-8131 if you have any questions.